Sunday 11 December 2011

Pinoy: Happiest People on Earth

In the same way that the term "pinolero" is used in colloquial Nicaraguan Spanish to mean a Nicaraguan, the word "pinoy" is used in day to day Tagalog/Pilipino to describe a Filipino. Both are terms of pride and not derision.

Christmas shopping this afternoon in the huge department store in the local mall and trying to get inspired on only one of the immense five floors for appropriate gifts for my local colleagues I came across the Filipino made section. Among the various mugs, bags, hats and clothes that were emblazoned with "I LOVE MANILA" and the like was a T-shirt that read "PINOY: HAPPIEST PEOPLE ON EARTH."



Although I've only been here a little over two months I suspect this may in fact be true and if it isn't Pinoys must be close to the top of the league and probably sincerely believe they are the happiest. Only yesterday a British friend/colleague and I were sat outside our site office at work feeling fairly fed up by recent work related events and moaning amongst our sarcasm as the British tend to do, when my colleague saw some of the Filipinos laughing and joking together and commented how he wished we were more like them - able to be always cheerful regardless of the circumstances.

As I've mentioned in an earlier post Filipinos know how to be sociable, spending time with other people, sharing food seem to be at the heart of their culture. To a Filipino the idea that I and my other British colleagues actually relish the rest and relaxation that comes with spending some time on our own (individually not as a group) I suspect would seem totally alien, rest and relaxation to a Filipino comes from spending time with others.

It reminded me of a conversation with Mel, the local Project Manager from our construction partner here in Manila about a month ago when he was explaining to us how All Souls and All Saints Day's were spent. Having lived in Central America and acquainted with "Dia de los Muertos" (Day of the Dead) I was not surprised, as I would otherwise have been, that the day involved going to the cemetery and having a picnic under temporary awnings set up at the graveside of loved ones. It is two days of family gatherings and celebrations in cemeteries.

To a British person this is strange to macabre, since death is not something that we really discuss despite the fact that of course it is inevitable. The ease with which death and mourning can be discussed and accepted in some other places that I have lived has really impressed me. It is one of the things that I think other cultures I have been exposed to handle better, although it is worth remembering that the belief in God is still more widespread and talked about too in those places.

However Mel rightly pointed out with pride that Filipinos know how to take something sad and make a celebration out of it, adding that the Philippines has the lowest suicide rate in the world. Whether or not statistically it is actually correct that the Philippines has the lowest suicide rate, it is undoubtedly low and what struck me was the fact whilst there are so many indices that make the Philippines look far less desirable, yet with the sense of optimism and fun that Filipinos have the statistic quoted to us was the one showing their resilience and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment