Sunday 23 October 2011

Our Best Export?

Have you ever wondered what your home nation's best export or legacy to the world is? To be honest I never really have, perhaps having pessimistic tendencies I tend to be more acutely aware of many of the not so good things or attitudes that Britain has given to the world, however that is not entirely fair as all nations, like all people, give both good and bad.

So an advertisement that I saw on Malaysian TV last week caught my attention when it asked what Europe's best gift to the world was, I thought it was a trailer for a documentary or a travel company as it considered the options of history, architecture, culture and philosophy, but in Malaysia I really should have known better the best thing of course was our football matches! Malaysian Airlines are even the sponsor of one of the English Premier League sides.

The back page of the daily newspapers where the biggest sports events should appear has the English Premiership results and league table as well as reviews of the match. In fact if I talk to someone in Malaysia they almost without doubt know more than I do and I could watch just about every match of the season on televisions in restaurants. It is a little strange when foreigners are more interested in your national sport than you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment